Most interviewing processes start and stop with the phone interview. In our opinion this is the most important interview. Not only because if you fail here the process stops, but mainly because it sets the stage for the in-person interview if you do well. Have a great phone interview and the mindset of the person bringing you in for the face-to-face interview is already positive, they believe you must be qualified, and you are starting out in a strong position.
Here is a quick quiz to see if you are ready to, “Win The Phone Interview.” Answer these in your mind, not fair if you already read the book or downloaded the free chapter. (Answers below)
- List all three factors that can be measured during a phone interview. Must list all three.
- How long should you talk before re-engaging the interviewer?
- Is the format for answering a question different than a face-to-face? If so, what is different?
- Is there a possible benefit from not answering the phone? If yes, what is it?
- What is the only purpose of a phone interview?
If you can answer all of these, then you are aware of how different the phone interview is from the in-person interview. If you can’t answer all of them then you should consider doing your homework. It is possible you’ve missed an opportunity because you were weeded out during a phone interview.
To help you, we have a number of completely FREE resources to make sure you know how to win the phone interview.
- Our chapter on “Winning the Phone Interview” from our job search workbook is free to download. It answers all these questions and more.
- We just posted a 1 hour audio file from our radio show focused completely on the phone interview.
- There are also a number of other blog entries dedicated to the phone interview for you to read.
- Our Linkedin discussion group is a great forum to discuss any issues you have regarding your job search.
- Our monthly Candidate Open Forum tele-conference has been one of our most successful methods to discuss all job search related topics. These forums fill up in less than a day. Click here for the next date and time.
Please consider taking advantage of these. They are all free tools you can use to ensure you not only win the phone interview, but win the job.
Help your friends and family know how they can win a phone interview by sharing this with them.
Please let us know how you did on the quiz. Did you really know all of the answers?
- Energy level, technical abilities and communication skills
- 1 minute.
- Yes, since it shorter and you can’t read their body language it is very important that your answers are succinct and impactful.
- The hiring manager leaves a message saying, This is the VP of HR from ABC company. I’m calling about X opening and would like to speak with you.” Now you can do some basic research on the company.
- To screen you in or screen you out.